intro message

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 1996 - 13:29:34 EDT

Hey folks!
I'm really glad to see that this list has come about. Thanks a bunch, Jon.
I have a 1987 model Dakota, 4x4, V6, Auto, Air, long bed, 2000 lb payload.
I bought it used in March 1995. It has given me no trouble so far, but it
only has 31,000 miles on the odometer :-). I've pulled trailers with it
and cruised all day at 65. The motor never seems to complain. I did have
to replace the left valve cover gasket and do a major tune up when I
bought it, but it runs great now. A couple of questions:

1. How do you change the oil without making a mess? I've resorted to
cutting up a 1 gallon plastic milk jug to catch the oil stream when
the drain plug is removed, but that's not a perfect solution either.
Any suggestions?

2. What kind of milage do folks with the carbed motors get? I get
about 15 around town, and 20 on the highway. The final drive ration
is 3.55. Would the lower ratio make a significant difference?

Thanks for reading this. I look forward to talking to others, especially
those who do their own maintenance.

-Jim.