Question for the Off-Roaders

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 09:06:46 EDT

From: Clement_D on Mon, Jun 24, 1996 9:09 AM
Subject: Question for the Off-Roaders

Being fairly new to off-roading I have a question for the more experienced.

Since I got my Dakota I have been using it to 4x4 on the beach. The access
road the travels along the back side of the beach is mostly hard packed dirt
and is quite easily traversed in 2wd. Every mile or so is a cross over to
the front side beach. The authorized travel path along the beach is above
the hi-tide point so it is soft sand and in some areas loose rock (1-3" in
size). For the most part I can travel in 4wd hi comfortable but where the
sand is especially loose the truck is more comfortable in 4wd low. I have
never got stuck on the beach but once in awhile I need to get a running
start to make the transition from the beach back up onto the cross over.
Typically it is a fairly steep transition and the sand is softest at these
areas.

My question stems from a discussion with some one at work and involves
letting air out of the tires. It had never occured to me to let air out of
my tires and I have been running the same 35psi on the beach as I do on the
road. The truck has Goodyear Wrangler Radials P235/75-R15 on it. My friend
at work 4wheels on a different beach and the rules for sticker there require
an air guage be on the vehicle at all times and have limits for air pressure
(I believe it's something like 15psi front 20psi rear max).

My question is; What does airing down steel belted radial tires do for you
on the beach? I can see where it would help let the tire conform to rocks
and such in real rough conditions but the beach?

Dave Clement