Re: Changing oil and 5-lug

From: BAMILLER@CSUPomona.Edu
Date: Tue Jul 09 1996 - 01:38:13 EDT

>The 3.9 is a 90 degree engine

>a 60 degree V6 which at least should be smoother.

If I remember correctly... From an engineering standpoint, it is impossible to
balance a V6 of any type, though 60degree V6s do run smoother. You can balance
an inline 6 however, thus the uses in Mercedes and BMW (known for their smooth
idle and power).

Just trying to be helpful...

Brett Miller
94 Dodge Dakota Sport V8

PS: I converted my Dak to a 5-lug setup. This involved getting a new set of
rotors for a non-magnum Dak, and axles and drums for the same non-magnum Dak (I
chose 1990). I put all this stuff on over the weekend and bolted on a set of
Dodge Stealth R/T wheels and tires. They look great and are the correct off-
set for the Dak. I don't know if non-R/T wheel would work though. Some people
warned me that the 5-lug set-up was too weak for the Magnum. Then I saw the
Grand Cherokee has the same 5-lug set-up (WITH REAR DISCS... new project
maybe?) And every Muscle Car made by Mopar (except for the A-bodys) had the 5
on 4.5inch set-up. Even the Big Block 383 A-bodys had a 5 on 4.0inch set-up.
Oh well, enough self justification... L8r