Re: Foul Smell - A/C Problem?

From: Eric Kozowski (kozowski@structured.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 1996 - 20:02:08 EDT

>Wanted to pick the "collective brain" on the list for a somewhat strange
>problem, I'm having. I've got a '96 Dak, with A/C, and the new refrigerant
>(R134a), and it works great (the trip up and back to C@C was quite
>comfortable). So my problems isn't when the A/C is on, but when it's off,
>and usually after I've run the air for a while. If my hot/cold switch is on
>the cold side, and not in recirculate mode, I get this weird oily chemical
>smell which emanates from the vents, and I can't quite seem to place what it
>is or where it's from. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm using warm air
>(didn't happen all winter). Could it be A/C compressor oil leaking into
>the system?? Ideas??

I have a '96 4X4 V8 AT w/ AC and get the same "smell". It seems a bit
musty, too.

On a different note, I have the factory fog lamps and they _both_
developed vertical cracks at about 7k miles. Anyone else have the same
problem?

--
Eric Kozowski             Structured Network Systems, Inc.
kozowski@structured.net   Better, Cheaper, Faster -- pick any two.