RE: I'm having a problem with my automatic trans

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 15:18:32 EDT

I don't think there's anything wrong, just some minor annoyances:

1) The roar is almost certainly the fan, running at full engine speed. You
have the tow package with a viscous fan clutch, right?

2) The slipping clutch problem is most likely the Torque Converter drain back.
There's nothing you can do about this, it's working as designed. The later
trucks have a smaller drain passage so it takes longer, but this got a bit of
attention from early Ram owners. If you've left the truck sit for a few days,
just wait a few minutes before trying to take off, or rev the engine in P or N.
If it happens after you get going, your bands need adjustment, and there's no
engine (tranny) code for this.

Incidentally, when you change tranny fluid, you can't drain the TC - the only
way it drains is through that tiny drainback valve, which takes several days
(or weeks) to drain the TC completely.

All revved up and nowhere to go?

Jim