Re: Engine Cleaning

From: Robert Allen (boballen@sky.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 1996 - 07:55:51 EDT

Ron Gallimore wrote:

> This may sound like a stupid question, but what needs to be protected when
> cleaning a '92 Mag. V-6 engine? Also, What is a good cleaning solution to
> use when doing this?

Me? I cover nothing, let the cold engine warm up
for about a minute, then liberally spray evrything
down from a pump bottle of "Simple Green." This is
not a de-greaser -- it will clean up light amounts
of oil and sludge. It also isn't a super cleaner
for engine detailing. But it is a cheap way to keep
a reasonably clean engine compartment.

Anyway, spray down the motor, close the hood and
let it soak while I clean the rest of the truck,
then hose the engine compartment down with a hard
stream from the hose. Fire up the motor and let it
reach operating temperture with the hood closed to
dry everything out.

I've been happy doing this method for a half-dozen
years. The only thing I'm carful about is not
spraying directly any of the electrical crap
screwed to the firewall.

Bob Allen, Kansas City
'96 V8 Auto Regular Cab Shortbed Sport