Re: 88 Dakota, 2.2 L, Need Holley 6520 Carb

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 23 1996 - 12:03:51 EDT

>I've had some experience with an old Omni carb. The carb. body wears
>where the throttle shafts go in, causing bad leaks. This is why
>rebuilds are not usually successful. As I recall the Omni carb is

Having some experience with very long-lived Webers... Leaky throttle shafts
can be repaired by boring out the shaft bore and fitting bronze (Oilite)
bearings - presuming there's enough body material to support the bearing.

A quick temporary fix is to pack the shaft bore with disc brake bearing grease
during the rebuild. You might also try motorcycle chain WAX - sprays on as
a liquid, but solidifies to paraffin - this should resist even gasoline for
a little while.

Jim
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." -- Proust