Re: emmisions

From: John P. Curcio (jpc@philabs.research.philips.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 1996 - 22:53:45 EDT

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:38:09 -0800 (PDT) frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com wrote:

> CA and NY (don't know about MA) have required a special emmisions
> "package" for quite a few years now. $100 has been the going rate.
> Some cars have extra or different equipment, some are the same as 49
> state cars, except for the extra sticker under the hood. Part of what
> you pay for is the extra warranty required by CA law for emissions.

A little oddity.....

I have a '95 Dakota 4x4, V-8, fully loaded. It does NOT have the
CA/NY Emissions package, nor does any other '95 sold in NY State. It
turns out that the Big Three (and maybe the Japanese manufacturers as
well) got a court order to block the emissions requirement in 1995,
citing that they couldn't meet the demand. All 1994 models, and
models from 1996 on, will have the "enhanced" emissions....

-JPC

John P. Curcio Philips Laboratories
jpc@philabs.philips.com 345 Scarborough Road
(914) 945-6442 Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510