Re: Frying the engine controller

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 26 1996 - 14:43:30 EDT

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Michael Clark wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:12:48 -0500
> From: Michael Clark <mcclark@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Frying the engine controller
>
> I just ordered the Mopar engine controller computer for my Dakota and
> was wondering if there are any precautions I should take (such as
> disconnecting the batter terminals) to make sure I don't fry this thing
> when I install it. It probably has instructions that come with it but I
> am a little impatient :)
Hi Michael,
        You should disconnect the battery first, then unbolt the plug
on the controller until it starts to drag a little, then wiggle the plug.
The plug should come loose enough to finish unbolting it. Then, unbolt the
three other bolts on the fender well. Reverse this to install. You should
do a code test next. You should get a 12 and a 55 only. 12 is loss of
battery power and 55 is end of test.
This can take a whole 1/4 of an hour if it is pitch black out and you
don't have a flashlite!
Cheers!
1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu