Re:Mileage

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:02:48 EDT

>My 95 Sport was ordered (I found it used) through the military zone office w/
>tonneau cover, bug deflecter and switched to a 22 gallon tank. It has the
>standard 3.21 open rear. My best recorded mileage is 22.4MPG @ ~75MPH.
> Around town/commuting I usually get 18-20/tank overall. I record every
>fill-up so I do have this documented. My worst tank was around 15 MPG after
>a few HEAVY leadfoot sessions.

   I regularly get 17mpg. I drive with a fairly heavy foot, but my
semi-regular commute is an hour at highway speeds almost all the way,
which is probably why I'm not getting 15. :) (Actually, I was getting
15 during the winter when the truck was newer) I have yet to go above
19, but I have yet to take it on any long trips or drive it in a "sane"
manner either. ;)

>I'm interested in what sucess people have had with different modifications
>involving performance and even handling.

  Me too! :)

   I'm still stuck in the "I wish i had enough money for that" stage.
I do need new tires, so I will probably get 225's which should help the
handling/performance a bit. As far as long term plans go, I'd
like the MP computer, headers, cat-back exaust, and a Vortech V-1
supercharger. :) (I have yet to figure out wether or not the
Vortech is compatible with the MP computer though). For a while
there, I was entertaining dreams of using the supercharger along with
a nitrous system. I've been reading on the subject though, and
I'm almost positive I'd have to replace/rebuild several engine
components to handle the heat and stress from that combination. I'm
leaning toward a supercharger (rather than nitrous) because it seems
to be the most reliable (and "user-friendly") of the two.

   According to my (albeit primitive and shoddy) calculations, the above
setup should be good for at least 350hp and somewhere around 350lb-ft
of torque. (I think.) Is anyone running anything close to this type
of setup?

>Also, does anyone notice their 5spd sounds alot like a school bus
>transmission? Mike works fine but seems noisy. The truck has 25K miles and

  HAHAHAHA!!! Thats the *first* thing I thought about my truck when
I first drove it! "Darn it, this sounds like a school bus!!!" I'm
hoping that headers and an exaust with a prettier note will help to cover
the sound up some. :) (I suppose the whine of a supercharger would help
out too!) ;)

>still has the original tires (the only one out of 4 with the same mileage I
>looked at, and the only 5 spd.) so I don't think it was beaten to pieces. It
>runs, shifts & drives fine. I checked what warranty work was done on it
>since new and only the windshield was replaced (strange but true at aroung
>1000 miles).

   My windshield needs to be replaced too. :P It got hit at the very top
by a small rock (from a cement truck, I think). That created a chip, but
after being parked in a hot parking lot all day, the chip developed into
a crack about a foot and a half long. :P Interesting note: When I
called the dealership to price a new windshield, they said they don't
do them! I have to go to a 3rd party glass place! How silly of me to
think that the dealership would handle OEM parts for the vehicles it
sells! :P

                                              -Jon-

| Jon Steiger: DoD# 1038, EAA #518210, USUA# A46209, NMA# 117376, KotWitDoDFAQ |
| stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
| '96 Dakota SLT V-8 Club Cab, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |