Dual O2 Sensors

From: Brent Cring (CringB@smtp.nvg.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 1996 - 10:06:48 EDT

I will give my OPINION on this subject. I would guess that production
vehicles with dual O2 sensors, the computer reads both sensors
separately. Then it probably looks for the leaner burning signal and uses
this one for adjustment as a lean burn will generally cause more
problems than a rich burn. By running them in parallel essential you will
get an average voltage between the two, in theory both sensors should
be giving about the same reading as both banks of cylinders should be
running about the same air/fuel ratio, in a healthy engine. My OPINION is
that it would be safe to run a single sensor and save the $60. The
advantages I can think of with two sensors is if one bank of cylinders is
not running correctly due to a mechanical problem no engine damage
should be done and the air fuel ratio adjustments may be quicker, which I
don't think is a big deal on low revving V-8.
 I have modified a Honda CBR 600 F2 to use an electromotive fuel
injection system, and with that system I found on a dyno that maximum
power was attained NOT using an oxygen sensor due to the fact that it
could not keep up with a 12,000 rpm engine. The thing to remember
though is that I tuned the fuel maps of this engine to every modification
that had been made, so it was running a 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. I would
NOT do this on a street vehicle, as I am unsure as to how fine tuned the
fuel curves are in the computer.
--As with any non-OEM approved modification your taking your taking the
fate of vehicle into your own hands, sometimes it works some times it
doesn't. ---
 Anyone else have some other ideas?