RE: Towing

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 1996 - 17:35:12 EDT

You wrote:
*snip*
> Do you have a frame-mounted receiver on your Dakota? If the
>bonehead was staring at a 1 1/2" trailer ball on your step
>bumper, he was absolutely correct. The bumper is a Class II
>hitch, limit 2000# and 200# tongue weight.

    I have the class IV receiver, sorry I left that out :)

*snip*

> You can always get the guy to look at your GCVW on the capacity
>sticker in the driver's door frame.

    I tried that, and unfortunately they will only go by what their book says. I
would imagine that it bundles the Dakota from years 88-96, being that the 88's tow
rating is/was based on the 2000lbs bumper rating. He even asked me if I had a
class III/IV hitch!

>> Any other U-HAUL stories out there?? Or is it just me :)
>
> I have had no end of problems renting car trailers from the
>yard yahoos. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one
>one of these days.
>
>> ..Sam '95 SLT CC MP SBEC
>
> Is that the performance computer? I'd be careful towing with
>that thing equipped.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ron "Mine Is A Great Tow Vehicle" Rader

    Yes it's the performance computer, and when I run local towing around town
(flat land)I leave it in, and put in a can of 104+ octane booster. I do switch to
the old stock unit when hitting the hills/and long distance

    ...Sam