Re: '93 Dakota Sport 3.9V-6 Magnum Auto w/ Tow Package. Bolt-on Performance Options? -Reply

From: Brent Cring (CringB@smtp.nvg.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 1996 - 17:34:29 EDT

COPIED MESSAGE
-------------------------------------
>>I've noticed that I have a lot of VALVE/LIFTER noise. A local tune-up
>>mechanic says that this is normal in MOPAR engines? Any input on
that?

>I have an 89 3.9l v6 with 201,000 miles and it makes no lifter noise. As
far
>as I am concerned if you have VALVE/LIFTER noise either the lifters are
shot,
> rockers are worn or valve guides are worn.

Outch! Guess I'd better get it in to the DODGE dealer and have them
check it out. The truck only has 53k on it, and the engine looks like
new. I certainly hope there's no problem with wear, but then I don't
know how the previous owner (1 local owner) drove the vehicle

With hydraulic lifters like the dakota uses, there should be very little valve
noise. Most often with hydraulic lifters they get noisy because a lifter
gets the oil passage clogged. This occurs when the oil is not changed
as frequently as it should be. I don't recommend using the harsh 10
minute motor flush solutions, but I would first try a mild motor cleaner like
Rislone, then run synthetic oil in the future. This may or may not work,
but it only will cost a few bucks versus an expensive lifter replacement
that the dealer will probably recommend.

Brent Cring
91 V-8 4x4