Re: '93 Dakota Sport 3.9V-6 Magnum Auto w/ Tow Package.Bolt-on Performance Options? -Reply

From: Wade Mintz (wademintz@randomc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 1996 - 09:46:56 EDT

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:39:23 -0300, you wrote:

>> With hydraulic lifters like the dakota uses, there should be very little
>valve
>> noise. Most often with hydraulic lifters they get noisy because a lifter
>> gets the oil passage clogged. This occurs when the oil is not changed
>> as frequently as it should be. I don't recommend using the harsh 10
>> minute motor flush solutions, but I would first try a mild motor cleaner
>like
>> Rislone, then run synthetic oil in the future. This may or may not work,
>> but it only will cost a few bucks versus an expensive lifter replacement
>> that the dealer will probably recommend.
>>
>> Brent Cring
>> 91 V-8 4x4
>
>I agree with Brent. I have a 90 diesel Jetta I bought with 60,000 miles
>that ticked alot just before I was ready to do an oil change @ 3000 mile
>intervals. I did an engine flush and started using Mobile 1. At around
>3000 miles it started ticking again. I changed the oil and you would not
>believe how thick it was! I put synthetic in again and have never heard a
>tick since. I now have over 150,000 miles on the engine. A friend who is
>a lub expert at a paper mill told me to expect alot of gunk when I changed
>the syn for the first time because it cleans the engine of deposits.
>
>With me 94 Dakota V6 4wd I use nothing but syn. and have no valve noise and
>I get 25 mpg (Imperial) ~22 mpUSgal.
>
>Mark

I'm going to jump right on the risolone and switch to synth. real soon
and see what happens.

Wow! I didn't even want to mention poor gas mileage. I'm getting about
17MPG (US) and I have a 2 wheel drive and street tires!

Thansk for the input.
~~Mintz Computer Services~~
~~3595 Canton Road~~
~~Suite A9179~~