Oil Changes, was: '93 Dakota Sport 3.9V-6 Magnum Auto w/ Tow Package.Bolt-on Performance Optio

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 1996 - 10:10:24 EDT

From: Kukukooter@aol.com@INTERNET on Wed, Oct 23, 1996 4:06 AM

>I switched from Castrol Syntec fully synthetic to (don't cringe)
>Q-State 4x4 semi-synthetic blend every 3000 miles. I used to hear
>horror stories about what Q-state will do or turn into, but after many
>runs over 6000 rpm, it's not gumming up, oil pressure is still where
>it was before, and after pulling the heads last month, the internals
>were no different than when using fully synthetic oil at a much higher
price.
>I guess if you left it in for 10,000 miles it would probably look like
>black coffee with a side of metal shavings. Even when using fully synthetic
>oil, it still gets changed every 3000 miles...and once every so often, I
add
>a bottle of STP oil additive, maybe that's why it's still good...

FYI, I currently have 202,000 miles on my 3.9l v6 Dakota. The oil & Filter
has been changed on 3-5k intervals with conventional oil since new.

I also have/had (3) 2.2 turbo Daytona's. On the 85 I put 240,000 miles
before my son hit one too many immoveable objects with no engine or turbo
issues. My son now has an 86 turbo with 116,000 miles which has not had any
engine or turbo work. My baby is an 89 Shelby Daytona turbo II which now has
96,000 miles and the engine has not been touched. My wife also has a Ford
Tempo with 145,000 miles. Other hi mileage vehicles I have owned are; AMC
Hornet 165,000 miles (fell apart), D-100 pick-up 268,000 miles (rotted
apart).

My philosophy has been; The turbo engines get synthetic because of the
ability of the oil to with stand the high tempertures generated by the turbo.
 The oil & filter in these cars gets changed at 7.5k mile intervals. All of
my non-turbo engines have only gotten conventional oil with oil & filter
changes in the range of 3-5k miles. This routine has worked for me for the
past 25 years.

Dave Clement