Loose steering...

From: MedeirosDA@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 30 1996 - 22:47:39 EST

I have an 89 Dakota Sport and I'm about to replace my steering
coupler/(universal joint?) for the second time. It's the coupler that is
held in place on the power steering unit by a split pin. There isn't much of
a shaft coming out of the power steering for the coupler to hold on to so
with time it seems to loosen up and develops some play which can be felt in
the steering wheel. I hear that this is a common problem with Dakotas and I
was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to their vehicles to
correct this chronic problem.

Thanks in advance!

Dave