'92 ring and pinion troubles

From: Actor Troy McClure (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 1996 - 08:12:03 EST

All:

I posted a message a few weeks ago about a guy in my department who owns a '92
Dakota with 85,000+ miles. He had the rear end serviced at the local Dodge
dealership and ended up with a severe whine (the truck, not the guy :^) )
when travelling at 55 mph.

After repeated attempts to get the truck repaired, this guy took the truck to a
"truck shop" here in Madison. They diagnosed the problem right away as
incorrect ring and pinion adjustment. The gears were chewing each other to
death. The Dodge dealership made things much worse by not putting in the
correct shims when they worked on his truck.

1) Is the noisy rear end a common problem in Dakotas from that year?

2) How much would you pay for a new set of r&p gears? Would it be possible to
find a decent set in a boneyard?

Thanks much.

-Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, 5.2L/5-spd (on order)