RE: 4wd vs. 2wd

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 17:18:36 EST

From: scottv@msn.fullfeed.com@INTERNET on Tue, Nov 12, 1996 3:06 PM

>> If the only reason you order 4wd is for resale value you will lose money
>> over purchasing a 2wd vehicle. Granted the 4wd will be worth more but not

>> the cost of the 4wd option more. 4wd cost approx. $2500.00, if you keep
the
>> truck 5 years the 4wd only adds about $1900 to the value of the truck.
>> That's $600 you could have saved.

>What geographic region of the U.S. do you live in?

I live just South of Boston and have been driving in snow during the winter
for over 25 years. My Dakota is my first 4wd vehicle (89 4x4 LE purchased
from a friend last Nov) while it certainly was nice to have with the worest
winter in years I did not need it.

>It's all a matter of timing. If you live in Arizona or Southern Texas,
this
>reasoning will not hit home with you. It's just a fact of life "up here".

>Four wheel drive trucks sell very well on the used market. Two wheel drive

>trucks sell well in the summer but everyone hates them in the snow.

I have had several 2wd trucks over the years and the only thing that was
need to make them more than exceptable in the snow was some weight in the
back. I used to have some logs by the driveway that were cut the lenght of
the bed that I would throw in when there was a storm.

>Where did you get the "$2500 vs. $1900" figures?

Take a look at any of the used car price books (Kelly Blue Book, NADA or
Edmunds) and they will have what to add to the value for the 4wd option. The
$2500 was an approximation of the difference in price of a 2wd optioned out
to match what comes in the base price of a 4wd and the price of a 4wd.

>Also, would you spend the extra jing for the "Sure-Grip" rear axle?

It's not something I have ever thought much about. However, if I was
ordering a truck it is cheap enough that I would likely order it.

>> Car truck purchases in general are a poor investment. You lose $1000.00
or
>> more just driving of the lot.

> ..... I *do*, however, want to be able to sell this truck for as much as

>possible when I decide purchase a different vehicle.

I do too! But if you took the money saved my not ordering the 4wd option
and put it in the bank and used it to supplement what you could get for a
2wd you would have more to put down than if you originally spent the money
on the 4wd option.

Dave Clement

ps: The best justification for me for having 4wd is being able to go out on
the beach this past summer.