RE: 4wd vs. 2wd

From: Justin Bouillet (justin@proxy-sys.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 18:33:04 EST

>What geographic region of the U.S. do you live in?

> I live just South of Boston and have been driving in snow during the winter
for over 25 years. My Dakota is my first 4wd vehicle (89 4x4 LE purchased
from a friend last Nov) while it certainly was nice to have with the worest
winter in years I did not need it.

Speaking of bad weather, we are currently being hit by a storm here in Calgary Alberta Canada. I filled up my 87 2wd Dakota last night and bought 4 sandbags and tossed them in the back. I drove out of the city, on the highway and had no problem. On the way back into the city, the roads iced up really bad and the truck started to fish tail slightly. Thank god for those sand bags. I just eased up on the gas a little and kept out of the ice as much as possible.

I don't think 4 wheel drive would have made any difference on that highway. Just some sandbags and sharp wits kept me out of the ditch (If I did end up in the ditch, then I would be wanting 4wd to get out!). How are you folks in Michigan and the mid-west fairing with your snow and your 2wd and 4wd Dakotas?

Justin Bouillet

87 2wd V6 Auto 3.55