Re: 4x4 necessity

From: Bob Tufts (rbt@kodak.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 1996 - 11:52:15 EST

> From NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org Wed Nov 13 09:19:24 1996
> This I think is the most important deciding factor in whether or not to get
> 4WD. I'm from northern CT (the slush-belt), so the amount of snow we get
> isn't what anyone would consider "a lot" but I'm a skier, and spend numerous
> weekends driving to VT, NH, and ME for ski trips, and any additional
> traction I can get on a snowy highway, I'll take it!!
>
> And for all you go-fast guys (yes, I'm one too), I may lose a little speed
> or quickness due to the extra weight of the 4WD hardware, but in the rain,
> and also especially in the snow, if I want to waste somebody off the line,
> just throw it in 4-HI, wait for the green light, let off the clutch, and SEE
> YA!! They're history!! Any 2WD vehicle on wet pavement is going to expend
> most of its torque/horsepower via wheelspin, whereas with the 4WD this baby
> hooks up and goes!!

Having driven all sorts of configurations in bad weather it's a "no-brainer"
for me. Picture the following scenario: You come to an intersection with
snow on the road and are waiting to make a right hand turn - if you can only
get a break in traffic. With limited slip if you boot it into a traffic gap
and at least one wheel does not have traction you'll have fun as both wheels
corksrew you sideways (I had to use studs to assure a bite with a '77 El Camino
350/posi).

With RWD and weight your front wheels can "plow" as you make the corner.
With 4WD your front wheels "pull" in the direction of your turn as the rear
"pushes". You feel like you're on a catapult compared to other cars as you just
hook up and go! The front wheels pulling you in the direction you're steering is
also helpful on long sweepers that may be off camber.

Being a pickup truck, I like to keep the bed available and not have to
load/unload ballast. (I move my snowmobile about in the bed of my truck. When
I get to my location for the weekend I would rather not have to drive the
sled back into the bed, or find other ballast as I drive around after unloading
it at the skihouse (located at the top of a long hill that often has 2WD/FWD
cars backing into the nearest driveway and turning around - then calling to be
picked up).

It's also a matter of independence. Once when going down the aformentioned hill
The car I was following suddenly came across "black ice" and proceeding to zig
and zag into a snowbank. I deliberately headed for the snowbank up hill from him
to avoid sliding into him (camber of hill on ice). I saw that he just missed
someone else deeply buried in the snowbank futher down hill. I quickly put it
in 4 wheel, low and backed out to avoid being slid into by anyone else. The
driver of the car in front of me sent his friend up hill to warn traffic as I
was able to pull him out of the bank with a chain(the other car was too buried
and was already waiting for a tow truck). The top of the hill was fine and
we were perhaps going 30 mph when the unexpected unseen ice occured. (I know
that 4WD does not make you invinceable when it comes to braking). The point is
I liked not being at the mercy of the tow truck. Often when I get to the ski-
house the driveway is not yet plowed and I can easily drive up the driveway
(and not have to wait on the street).

I realize that not everyone goes in bad weather as often as I do, but there is
no question that I've gotten my money's worth out of the 7 years I've owned the
current truck (Nissan King Cab 190K miles). I'm really looking forward to the
wider bed(my sled's skis just make it) and power (V8) that the new Dakota offers
and I plan to keep it just as long (get my worth out of 4WD again).

BTW: I appreciate this group for info & experiences about "the beast" as I make
up my mind before ordering to my own preference. (As I said I plan to live with
it for some time).

-Bob T.