(no subject)

From: Doak Holman (ISDJH@Meriter.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 1996 - 14:40:54 EST

                              *********** WARNING ******************

If you own a Dodge Dakota still under warrantee and you hear any kind
of back end noise, get the truck into your nearest chrysler dealer.

It appears that Dodge is/had problems with back end noise. To fix the
problem Dodge has had to replace the pinion, gears and bearings. I
have heard (third hand) of dakota's having their backends replaced right
off the assembly lot and more replaced within 25,000 miles. Call your
local dodge mechanic and ask what they have heard. Chrysler does not
have a recall of any type for this problem. If you do not get your truck in
and document your visit you will fall victim to the same situation I am in.
And don't fall for the, "Oh, this is normal of an aging truck" routine.

I own a 92 4x4, v8; After 7 trips to my dodge dealer my differential was
diagnosed as never been bored correctly (The truck has never been in
an accident and was never overloaded). Thus the pinion, gears,
bearings and differential housing all need to be replaced. The noise I had
been hearing has gotten so loud that you can't hear the person next to
you talk. I have 87,000 miles on my truck (17,000 out of warrantee) and
chrysler is washing their hands of the problem. Orginally, I though the
noise was tire related and normal noise from a truck's backend and didn't
make a big deal out of it while the truck was in warrantee. Since I didn't
complain loud enough, chrysler is telling me I'm out of luck. It will cost me
around $2,000 to have the back end replaced; with no guarantees.

A special thanks to kukukooter for all his help!!!!!

Good luck.