Re: Back end noise

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 1996 - 18:11:31 EST

You wrote:

*snip*
>I own a 92 4x4, v8; After 7 trips to my dodge dealer my differential was
>diagnosed as never been bored correctly (The truck has never been in
>an accident and was never overloaded). Thus the pinion, gears,
>bearings and differential housing all need to be replaced. The noise I had
>been hearing has gotten so loud that you can't hear the person next to
>you talk. I have 87,000 miles on my truck (17,000 out of warrantee) and
>chrysler is washing their hands of the problem. Orginally, I though the
>noise was tire related and normal noise from a truck's backend and didn't
>make a big deal out of it while the truck was in warrantee. Since I didn't
>complain loud enough, chrysler is telling me I'm out of luck. It will cost me
>around $2,000 to have the back end replaced; with no guarantees.
>
>A special thanks to kukukooter for all his help!!!!!
>
>Good luck.

    OUCH! My friend had his gearing /pinion, bearings, etc...And a sure-grip diff
installed for $800 bucks... w/ 12 month, 12,000 warranty. You had the DEALER do
it?? OUCH!!
    There was a magazine article recently that showed what it cost to replace the
major drivetrain components of a new car... The new car cost $26500 or something
like that... The engine was around $5000, the transmission was around $3800, add
the cost of new radiator, power steering 'rack', new struts, etc...Was somewhere
around $75000 after they added up the entire car (all through dealer parts dept.s)

    Anyone read this article??

    ...Sam '95 SLT