Re: Tail-Gate removal

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Wed Nov 20 1996 - 22:28:50 EST

On my ancient '75 Datsun (which had almost enuf power to get out of its
own way) removing the tailgate improved mileage 10%. Never tried it on
the Dakota. Haven't tried one of the tailgate nets, but I'd be willing to
bet that it wouldn't improve mileage too much because of the drag that
would still be there from the net. If you don't pack stuff in the bed
just removing the tailgate would probably help mileage. A rigid bed cover
should also help mileage too.

What I noticed on the Datsun (it had a plywood cover on the inside of the
tailgate so it was easy to see) was that if it started to rain while
driving on the road only the top half of the inside of the tail gate got
wet. Also any leaves/whatever that were in the bed got blown to the front
of the bed where they just swirled around. The air rolled over the top of
the cab, rolled down the bed until it hit the tailgate and caused a load
of turbulence (drag). Opening the hole lets the air just flow right out
the back of the bed. Partially covering the hole with a net just messes
up the flow.

Just my humble : -) opinion.

Larry