RE: Fuel Injector Cleaner -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 18:23:25 EST

Scott Lemser

>>> "Dave Clement-LDC009" <Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com>
11/26/96 04:38pm >>>

From: ragnew@islandnet.com@INTERNET on Tue, Nov 26, 1996 5:17
PM

>I guess that leaves the question .... although it will run on 87 octane,
is
>the Dakota programmed for higher octane and the computer
retards the timing
>to use 87? I certainly don't want to waste dollars on higher octane
fuel
if
>there is no gain.
>
>I've noticed that some contributors to this list have indicated that
their
>Daks run much better on higher octane fuel.

Dave Clement writes:
 In theory, any given engine should be more fuel efficient on a lower
octane fuel than a higher one (not that you could ever see the
difference in the real world).

Just a minor correction Dave:

It is fact that the higher the octane rating, the lower the fuels
volatility.
That is to say that, not only does a higher octane fuel "Flash Over" at
an increased temperature, it's slower burn time allows a more
efficient use of the fuel and greatly improves it's capability to
produce power through a more complete Burn.
A perfect example of this would be a Top/Fuel racing engine.
Nitro Methane has an octane rating somewhere around 3 billion and
takes the approximate heat of the sun to ignite.
Nitro motors produce 3500 to 4000 HP whereas a Top/Alchohol motor
using a lower octane Methanol/Gasoline mix produces roughly 2000
to 2500 HP using essentially the same parts.

With the cost of Nitro, and if your statement were true..-- I'd be
running a dragster on water.