Re: Front end loose, rattles -Reply to Sam

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 1996 - 14:52:51 EST

Sam,

I installed a set of Addco bushings and C-clamps BEFORE I
wrote about front-end rattles. I did have a broken C-clamp on
the right and the factory bushings were flat! My Addco
bushing and clamps cost under $15 at PepBoys.

But I still got rattles. I'm gonna check out the pads and
looks at the steering linkage.

Did I just read about someone who had an extended (80K
mi.) warranty but the dealer would not replace a $650
steering column under that warranty? When I called the 800
# for Warranty Service, they did not mention the column as
not being covered. They did mention the steering linkage
was not covered. Hmmm.

BTW--the # was 1 800 521 9922.

Thanks,

klm

You wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>Has anyone dealt with front-end looseness or low rattling
>when going over uneven roads or RR tracks?

    Check around on your sway bar a LITTLE more closely. I
had a problem
on my '91 and it took 3 trips to the dealer... Still no change.
I was at an oil changer place, and the guy let me go down in
the bay to look
at the underside. I asked the guy up topside to push up and
down on
the front of the truck. To my dismay BOTH c-clamps for the
sway bar
were BROKEN, and a couple of other bushing 'clamps'. You
couldn't see
that they were broken until you had the suspension under
load... I bought
new clamps ($7.00 each from the dealer)... And that took
care of it.

    ...Hope this helps!

    ...Sam '95 SLT