Re: "Basic Rule" story from AP

From: John P. Curcio (jpc@philabs.research.philips.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 08:42:12 EST

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 20:04:17 -0800 (PST) elliott@serv.net wrote:

> A guy at work who's originally from Buffalo, NY,

....what does this matter???

> commented that Montana
> has the highest per capita rate of traffic deaths in the US, said he saw
> it in USA TODAY (my #1 source for authoritative info!).

Well, they might (but I highly doubt it, based on what I've read in the New
York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the National Motorists Association
literature), but then again, per capita doesn't mean a damn thing. Another
meaningless statistic is the number of deaths per year. The only meaningful
normalizing factor would be deaths per 100,000,000 miles driven, since exposure
to deaths is directly related to how much you drive, not how many people live in
your state (although there can be second-order effects from this).

> Did anyone see the recent article/interview of the head of NHTSA in a
> recent issue of Car and Driver. Very interesting, and the NHTSA and IIHS
> both want tanks to drive and 55 mph. Of course they never drive anywhere
> anyway so it doesn't effect them.

Be extremely wary of anything the IIHS comes out with. They are nothing more
than a front for insurance companies. They are solely funded by insurance
companies, and as a result, they say all the things the insurance industry
wants to hear ("speed kills" bullshit being one of their favorites).

What does this have to do with Dakotas, though?

-JPC

-JPC

John P. Curcio Philips Research
jpc@philabs.research.philips.com 345 Scarborough Road
(914) 945-6442, 6159 Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510