Re: rear speakers

From: John Walker (dakota@wku.campus.mci.net)
Date: Fri Dec 06 1996 - 00:03:47 EST

Ron,
        I have done the following sound system modifications to my 93 reg
cab. I added a Pioneer Detachable face CD player, it was a pretty easy
installation. Rewired the 5 1/4 speakers with 14-guage wire. Blaupunkt 5
1/4 component set on the way with crossover and soft dome tweeters that will
be mounted high on the door.(I don't really want to cut, but I am doing it
for best sound imaging) I ditched the 5x7's. People that I have talked to
say that the 5x7's ruin sound imaging (i.e. fire into the side of the seat,
this probably won't be a factor in your super cab). Instead, I added two
6-inch SAS bazookas. They punch pretty good but I am still waiting on a
good crossover. I am currently using the built in high pass/low pass
crossovers built into my 50 X 4 amp. They are crossed over at 80hz, but
they are to rumbly with mid-bass. I am still waiting for my components.
Believe it or not, the "Premium" Chrysler speakers have held up well with 50
watts of power on each. The amp mounted under my driver side (bench seat)
with a few screw holes. Wiring was not very bad, it tucked under the vinyl
foot trip (trim with the "quality engineered by Chrysler logo") and
continued smoothly underneath the carpet.

Oh yeah, a word of caution. My 5 1/4 compenents have a mounting depth of 2
7/8 and Crutchfield shows 3 7/8 in the catalog. I called and they said that
87-93 had only 2 5/16 mounting depth and 94 up had 3 7/8. I went on ahead
and ordered the speakers. We will see how they go in. I asked the sales
rep if it was due to power windows and she said she didn't know. The only
difference I know of between 93 and 94 doors was the addition of side impact
protection in 94.

I hope this helped some.

John
http://members.tripod.com/~mopar
93-reg cab Sport/2.5l(don't laugh-I want a V8 bad)