Speakers in Dakota

From: carl.nybro@natinst.com
Date: Fri Dec 06 1996 - 11:35:12 EST

Hi. Thought it was about time I contributed since
I've been reading this list for a while. I just
finished installing some Cerwin Vega 5.25"
component speakers in the front door of my 93' Club Cab.
As you guessed, I had to do some cutting in the
door panels to get the tweeters to fit. I wanted
them flush mounted and the only place they would
fit is just above the power door/lock switch. The
tweeters are a pretty good size, so I had to cut
into the metal door frame a bit to get some added
clearance, not a big deal since the metal is soft.
The 5.25' mids fit fine in the factory location,
in fact I think 6.5" would even fit with no cutting.
Right behind the power door/lock switch is a massive
circular cut-out, probably for access to the power
window mechanism. However, the door/lock switch
covers the majority of it so that's why I had to
cut a little metal. If you want to flush mount
tweeters for a clean look, this is the only spot
on the door to install them. Sounds great! I did
think about installing some nice 2 or 3-way 5.25"
in the stock location at the bottom of the door, but
all the highs would be directed at your feet, which
doesn't make my ears happy! I also installed some
Pioneer 2-way 5x7's in the rear. They made a huge
difference. However, I think there are better
sounding 5x7's available - I've seen a lot of them
lately.
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)