Re: V6 vs. V8 mpg

From: Chris Smith (mopar@tough.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 14:42:58 EST

> I doubt too many people own both a V6 and a V8 dakota. From the EPA
> estimates there is a about a 2 mpg difference between the V6 and the V8.
> There is also about a 2 mpg difference between 2wd and 4wd, and 1 or 2
> mpg difference between and auto and a manual transmission. The EPA
> numbers show no difference with different rear axle ratios.

I've owned both, but the V6 was pre-magnum. I'd agree with the 2mpg
estimate, except that the V8 had more variability. My mileage varied by
as much a 5 MPG in the V8, with only 3 or so in V6. Both trucks auto,
extended cab, 2WD. V6 15-18 with 16.5 average, V8 11-16 with 14.5
average. Still not real numbers, just one guy's experience.

--
-Chris Smith
mopar@tough.com