Re: Break In -Reply

From: Actor Troy McClure (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 1996 - 03:44:32 EST

Ken wrote:

> Since new, I have let the Dak, upon starting, run for:
>
> 2 min if the outside temp is 65 or higher
> 3-4 min if 32-65
> 5+ min if less than 32
> Stay home w/ the wife if below zero
>
> Same goes for momma's Ram Wagon.
>
> That, plus Mobil 1 every 5K will take us a LONG way!
>
> BTW, I went over 80K before have ANY brake work done.
>
> klm

Jeez! Letting it idle for five minutes every day from October to March seems a
little bit excessive. Plus I'd have to do it twice: Once when I leave home and
once when I leave work.

I have read that the best way to warm up a vehicle to drive it at a moderate
pace. No racing the engine or 5000-rpm launches in first gear.

I don't know if I'd agree with the part about staying home when the temps go
below zero. That would mean quite a few days off of work. :^)

Seriously, I am thinking about running Mobil 1 after my 6K oil change. What
filters do you use?

-Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, 5.2L/5-spd