Re: Peeling Paint

From: Paul Stoehr (pstair@peaka.net)
Date: Sun Dec 29 1996 - 05:18:14 EST

mvasquez@lausd.k12.ca.us wrote:

> I bought a 1992 Dakota from
> my brother-in-law in
> January of 1996. The truck was
> cherry and it had a V-8! The truck
> was, and still is, in perfect
> condition. Except, the paint
> has started to peel of the
> hood. I thought it was kind
> of weird that ONLY the paint
> on the hood started peeling.
> I started to make plans to
> repaint the hood when I
> started to notice that the
> local gas company used
> Dakotas. What struck me
> was that many of those
> Dakotas also had paint
> problems - ON THE HOOD!
> Has anybody noticed this!!
>
> HELP!

I've got a '92 Magnum V-6 Dakota with factory white paint. My hood
isn't peeling, but my tailgate is. There are half a dozen spots the
size of quarters where the paint has come off leaving a perfect grey
primer underneath.
I take care of this truck and wash it frequently, no harsh chemicals
or brush car washes. A friend of mine has a red '91 Dakota and his paint
is peeling off the hood, but it was repainted a couple of years ago
from an accident he was in.
I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. I need to take mine in for
a new fuel sender (the second one!) and difficult shifting (5 speed
tranny). I tried synthetic lube in the tranny but it is getting very
hard
to shift, particularly to 2nd gear. I will question our local dealer
about the paint and let you know what kind of response I get from them.

                                Paul
'92 Dakota 1941 Chevrolet
Magnum V-6 Special Deluxe
5-speed Ruby Maroon