TCI shift kit

From: John Lindsay (jlindsay@oharamfg.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 1996 - 14:26:15 EST

 Finally took the plunge yesterday & installed the TCI shift kit in my
slushy shifting '95 V8 4x4. Results were exactly what I was after.... firm,
immediate shifts, but not neck snapping. (The kit can be installed in neck
snapping mode if desired). Instructions were pretty straightforward, & it's
well within the capabilty of anyone that managed to find this mailing list.

 I say "pretty straightforward", noting that they =do not= say not to put
the valve body back in with the outer accumulator spring still on the
workbench. And =nowhere= do they tell you not to put the kickdown linkage on
upside down. <G>

 You'll need a couple of items that may not be in everyone's tool box,
including...

    A GOOD inch pound torque wrench, covering a 35-105 range.
    A 5/16" square or 8 point socket
    A #T25 Torx bit
    A parts washing tank or pan
    A compressed air supply to blow out the chips after drilling the valve body

 Also, as someone noted here before (and contrary to many reports, including
the local dealer), the oil pan can be removed without loosening the exhaust.
Take out all the bolts and tip the front end down to drain the fluid. Angle
the pan with the rear as high as it will go, the front as low as it will go,
& slide it towards driver side 'till the offending corner lines up with the
bend in the exhaust pipe. Grab hold of it towards the front, & give it a
=healthy= tug. It is also at this exact instant you'll realize there's still
2 quarts of fluid left in the pan :) To install, tie the gasket to the pan
with thread in every other bolt hole. Place it in the same position, & give
it a WHOP with the heel of your hand, it'll pop right in. (Don't forget to
remove the thread.)

 If you can't find the kit, I got mine mail order from PAW (818-998-6000)
for $67, 5 days delivery.

 Hope this helps someone.

                              Maddog