Re: Please unsubscribe

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 30 1996 - 18:19:16 EST

>Please unsubscribe the entire jadeinc.com domain from any and all listprocs on this server.
>
>Previous requests from the user and administration have been ignored.

   First, there *are* no users from your domain subscribed.

   Second, if your requests were anything like this one, you should feel
   grateful that you were ignored, rather than flamed. (or worse)

   It is a *widely* accepted standard that mailing lists have more
than one address. One is for posts, the other is for administrative
requests, such as subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. The second address
is almost always automated. Could such a blatant standard have
escaped your attention, or do you just not care? Did you even bother
to check for a listserv, majordomo, or dakota-request account at
this site? I didn't think so.

   Sending an administrative request to the main mailing list address
is ignorant. Sending it 20+ times is just plain stupid. Many times,
I will take care of administrative requests to the main list. It does
take time, something I don't have a lot of. I would be well within my
rights to ignore each and every administrative request to the main
list. I try to take care of them because I'm a generally nice guy. I
just did a batch not too long ago, and suspect that I have taken care of
the user(s) at your site at that time.

  (Administrative info is sent to every user when they subscribe,
   and is available at any time from the automated list server.
   If the user at your site had bothered to hang on to it, or
   even read it, this wouldn't have even been an issue.)

  I'm still amazed that someone with postmaster priviledges doesn't
have a grasp on such a simple concept. What you just did was *really*
inconsiderate to the subscribers of my list. Please don't do it again,
to this list, or to any list.

  Thank you.

P.S. I'm sure your local bookstore has a fine selection of books
     on netiquette. Most of this stuff is common sense to most people,
     but you may want to think about picking one up.

                                              -Jon-

  | Jon Steiger | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 |
  | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu | '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
  | http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ | '91 Yamaha FZR600R * |
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
                                                      * == For Sale!