Re: Tranny problems

From: jeffwynn@intrepid.net
Date: Sun Jan 05 1997 - 09:29:59 EST

>I am the owner of a '96 4x4 V8 extended cab 5-speed, sure grip 3.55 rear end
>Dakota with 25,000 miles. Overall, I am very happy with the truck, but I
have
>had a few warrantee problems.

<SNIP transmission and towing story>

I have the same truck, except a '95 model.

I just returned from Florida with a 3800# travel trailer (with a _big_
frontal area). While I had no problems towing the trailer (mostly 4th with
5th going 60-70 mph). Previously I had towed a U-haul trailer and our 2500#
sailboat. The tranny is definitely noisy, particularly with the clutch out.
With 41k miles, I definitely worry about the noise, as well as a little
lurch, or play that may have developed. Should I be worried? When
should I change the tranny fluid?

I am also looking for advice from those of you who have taken extended trips
(15k+ miles) with your Dakota (particularly those with manual trannys).
My wife and I are planning on a several month trip across the US with
our 3800# trailer and can't decide on a larger truck, perhaps with
diesel, or just keeping our Dak (and maybe doing a few mods!).

Thanks,
Jeff Wynn
95 Dakota V-8 5sp 4x4
95 Impala SS GGM
73 Jeep J-4000 truck

mailto: jeffwynn@intrepid.net
Why have virtual reality when real reality is available?