starter problem

From: Todd Schmalzried (tschmal@iseg14.imd.cig.mot.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 14:22:56 EST

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and have just now had my first notable
problem. I tried to start my truck the other morning, and it wouldn't turn
over. The starter would spin, but wouldn't engage the flywheel. The pinion
wasn't engaging for some reason. So being a Mercury owner I got out my hammer,
and tapped on it, to no avail. So I went to work and removed the starter (no
small task with a 4x4 V8), and had my roomate turn the key while I held it. Low
and behold it worked fine. So I turned around and put it back in. It works fine
now. Has anyone had a similar experience, or have I just aquired my own
personal gremlin?

BTW when removing the starter I found a clip I don't remember the service
manual mentioning (yes, I spent the money to get the Dodge manual, and it is
well worth it!). If you have an auto there are cooling lines running in the
area. The clip which holds them attaches to the top bolt. The bottom bolt
remains in the bellhousing (a stud). Result: you can't remove the starter
without moving the clip, which is conviently placed so all access it is nearly
impossible. I tried to bend mine out of the way, but it snapped. I hope it
isn't too important.

Just my 2 cents worth.

	Todd Schmalzried		   tschmal@imd.cig.mot.com
	Motorola Cellular 		   FAX:   (847) 435-6550
	Continental Towers #2 floor 11     Phone: (847) 435-6546
	1701 Golf Road
	Rolling Meadows, IL.  60008

-You have to "put your 2 cents in" but only get "a penny for your thoughts".-
-Who gets the change? Think about it.-  O-