Re: '97 with transmission? probs? -Reply

From: Brian Cleary (bcleary@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 20:21:20 EST

Brian Cleary
bcleary@interlog.com

> I've just read the thread about the tranny shifting out of OD at
> highway speeds with just a slight push on the accelerator. I
> think you might be feeling the torque converter unlocking and
> locking. It will lock up above 45 mph when the throttle is
> constant and will unlock with acceleration. When you let off,
> it locks up again. Kinda feels like shifting into fifth gear, if
> you concentrate on it.
>
> klm

My 89 Sport drops out of converter lockup frequently. In fact in even a
minor head wind it my stay out unless I'm going down hill. I contribute
this to my oversized tires and underpowered engine (3.9 @ 125Hp) Dropping
in and out of lockup is very subtle and you probably won't notice it much
(only 200 rpm change). My problem is the opposite, takes FOREVER to drop
out of OD! With cruise on and starting up a grade I'll lose 15-30Km's per
hour before OD drops out and then it's too late for my gutless engine to
recover. I usually press the OD button to disengage before entering a
steep grade just so I can keep up speed! My kingdom for a V8 :^)