Strange sound

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 1997 - 16:57:14 EST

I have a new sound that I can't figure out. It started when I installed the K&N FIPK.
When the truck is started cold, there is a loud high-pitched whistling sound.
The kind you can hear across the parking lot. When it warms up it stops.
When it is started hot, I can hear it for about 2 seconds and it stops.
At first I thought is was an air leak somewhere, but I checked the pcv hose
and oiled the rubber on the filter to make a good seal, and tightened the wing nut.
Still there...

I talked to Jules and he said to start it up cold with the lid removed from the FIPK.
I did this and the sound is even louder... As best I can tell the sound is comming
from the throttle body area...

Has anyone with K&N heard this sound before? What could this be?
Everything else is fine, runs like spotted ape. Just can't figure out that noise....

I made a wav file if anyone would like to hear it for themselves. The URL is:

http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/mcclark/knhelp.wav

Any comments, or ideas greatly appreciated.

--
-
Michael Clark        mike@snakebite.com