RE: help (fwd)

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 1997 - 14:58:25 EST

>and does anyone have any experience with underdrive pulleys on a dakota...
>i have heard good and bad adout them and i would like some info

I installed the pulley's on my truck, they help a little in the upper revs,
but they do dim your lights at idle, especially with the MSD ignition, which
dropped my Idle speed down to 600 rpm.

>also, what is with these skinny 6" rims
>i have 235 70 r15's on them and that is the fattest i can get

I tossed those rims for some cheap American Racing 7 inch rims. I have
235/70's on them. Much better grip.

>i want somthing that'll take grab better
>
>i was thinking of replacing my 3.50 rear differential with a posi or a
>3.91 suregrip...
>i heard those suregrips r good but what r they???

Next to the computer, this was the biggest performance increase. It knocked
a half second off my quarter mile time. As soon as one wheel slips a
certain distanc (not much) it locks the diff. giving you twice the
traction. Since I do alot of highway driving I opted to stay with the 3.21
gears for gas milage.
Mine costs more than most because I got the part from the dealer ($400
something), and had a local shop put it in ($220). Many on the list paid
much less. Unfortunatly where I live quality work is expensive.

Alan...