RE: 96 mods (was help)

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 16:17:47 EST

On 01/22/97 08:58:00 you wrote:
>*snip*
>Due to the addition of OBD-II in the 1996 model year cars and trucks, we
>are unable to use the previous years SBEC or exhaust (with the exception
>of Sam P, I believe he used a '95 model exhaust and modified it for the
>extra O2 sensor to fit his '96. I've called the MP tech line a number of
>times, and when I can get through, they usually hem and haw, and don't
>give me a straight answer... usually something like "in the next couple
>months"... grrr

        I actually have a '95 (purchased April 13, 1995), that was built
the last Friday before XMAS!! (no wonder the speedo gear was for a 3.21, and
not the optional 3.90!) I have a '95 5 speed MP SBEC& K&N FIPK courtesy
Jules and Mastercard :) I was able to simply replace the exhaust from
the CAT back 3" with a stainless ULTRA-FLO muffler (completely open
inside with no baffels)... I had the rear of the CAT (orginally a 2.5")
'opened up' to a 3", then had the mandrel bent pipe welded to it.
No O2 stuff back there like on the '96-'97...

>> Speaking of the SBEC and mods in general, do I have to take it out
>>to tow? I don't pull stuff often, but when I do its a 4,000lb trailer.
>
>The MP SBEC is not designed for towing, they recommend you use the stock
>SBEC if you're going to be towing.

Ditto! It won't work...use the stock sbec...

        Sam '95 SLT