Re: Auto (unfortunately) LONG POST!

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 19:15:31 EST

On 01/24/97 16:35:12 you wrote:

>WillTier@aol.com wrote:>
>> << -Master Of Reality
>>

>> '93 Dakota Sport
>> 318 CID
>> auto (unfortunately) >>
>>
>> Why "unfortunately"? 93 could not get 318 with 5 spd. I run a 93 ext cab
318
>> Auto and have yet to have a 5spd Dakota even come close off the line or
in
>> the run. I have gotten beat off the line by other automatic Dakotas but
not
>> yet in the run.
>

>I love my auto! Get's lonely on the list for us auto guys. I've never
>driven a 5spd. Driven very few sticks only for short distances...
>Might not know what I'm missing, but I'm more than satisfied with the
>auto...
>
>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
>--hope to get my sig. file back
>in a few days......

I loved my auto in my '91 Dakota... Funny thing about a mid-year
model... A-500 transmission (weak!), great new body style (with the
flush head lights too), but a throttle body, non-magnum engine :(

The trans. actually worked quite well, and never gave me any trouble...

That truck was rated @ anywhere from 140-175 hp depending who you talk to
and was great!

When I purchased my '95 I was on a mission... I had the dealer do a
search for all of the options I wanted, and after 1 week they had something.
In the mean time I went to every dealership in San Diego County in 8.5
hours!! (Colonial Dodge, Carl Burger Dodge, Kearny Mesa Dodge, Poway Dodge,
Cal Worthington Dodge, and Jack Powell Dodge)... This was a 95-100 mile
round trip, plus I test drove 4 Dakota's... All V8's (no V6 for me,
afterall my old V8 was like a V6)...

        What got my attention early in the evening was the White CC Sport, but
it was a 5-speed... The guy told me to take it for a spin, and threw me the
keys (I actually drove off by myself, which was kinda cool)... When I got
back, my wife was shaking her head... She knew that I wanted a 5 speed...and
she didn't drive manual trans...OH WELL!

        That's what did it for me, then to top it off, the dealer that had
searched for the vehicle I was after, found the one...BUT it was a
5-speed... DAMN! :) I took it... A couple things SOME people out there
might not know about the auto vs. 5 speed (at least with a Dakota):

1) First thing there's no OD button... It took me 3 months to finally
get over the push the OD to do a quick downshift!! (Move the stick to
4th!)

2) There's no PRND21 on the dash anymore (It says DAKOTA)...I guess you
are always in DAKOTA gear!

3) When parking the truck I had a bad habit of moving my right hand from the
3 O'clock position, to the 1 O'clock position "in the air" (no lever
anymore!)

4) You must engage the clutch when coming to a FULL stop (tried fighting it
with the brake, but the truck WILL NOT stall..Brakes lose, use the clutch!)

5) On certain hilly sections on the fwy the truck doesn't downshift all
of a sudden like before (5 speed)

6) You ACTUALLY have a higher tow rating with a 5 speed..., and 4th
gear it MUCH better while pulling a hill than D with an automatic...

7) Your temperature while towing up a grade is less with a 5 speed, than
with an automatic (equally equipt of course-- Except the 5 speed doesn't
have a transcooler putting extra heat onto the radiator)

8) ANYONE can get quick times with an automatic (you mash the throttle,
steer, hold on!) With a 5 speed it makes it more of a challenge!!

9) With 3.90 gearing a 5 speed, you can ALMOST start out in 2nd gear, not
first... If the truck is EVEN rolling a tad bit, 2nd is the norm...and
5th gear comes in around 40 mph on flat roads (and pulls fine up 110 mph
thank you very much!)

and finally!

10) You can pretend that you hurt your foot, and make your date drive
(Who doesn't drive stick, so you get to teach them, and then...:)

        *I'm married, but still got to teach my wife to drive the
Dakota... Now if I can get her to shift before 4000 rpm, and stop waking up
the neighborhood when she leaves!!!