RE: 96 mods (was help)

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 01:15:47 EST

>> Hmmm... That's one of the things I've been interested in doing, but
>>have no idea what windows I want done and how much I want to tint them.
>>was afraid that, if the tint was any different than the cab windows, it
>>would look funny. We're only allowed to go 30% here in NY. (Speaking
>of
>>which... If Dodge can sell the truck with those cab windows that dark,
>>does that mean I can make the side windows the same? Somehow, I doubt
>it.) :P
>>Ned, any chance you'll be updating the page with your new look? :)
>
>I think the extra cab windows are probably like 30% or 25%, so even if
>you went with the 30% it wouldn't look funny at all... Once I can get
>the truck clean again, I'll be snapping some new pictures, and would be
>glad to send 'em on up to the FTP site...

  Great! :) I'll be looking forward to them! On a related note,
I've just received another WAV from Kuk, (thanks, Kuk!) which I'll
be posting as soon as I get the chance.

>>>Same here... (but still wish I'd gotten the factory fog lights)
>

>> Nya, nya... Ummm, oh, excuse me. ;) I just looked at the picture(s)
>>of your truck on the web site, but I'm on a computer with a really bad
>>video board, so I couldn't make out details too well. Do you have the
>>holes for the lights? It shouldn't be too hard to add lights. I
>immagine
>
>I believe the holes for the fogs are sqaure and they are more or less
>directly in line underneath the headlights? My truck has some cutouts

  Yes, they are underneath (even a little to the outside) of the stock
lights. I have a straight-on shot of my truck on the web page that
shows this quite nicely.

>which are more inboard, but might be workable for an aftermarket set of
>driving lights (PIAAs or something), but I don't believe I have the

  Yeah, that's always an option. Maybe you could find a trashed
Dakota with the lights at a junkyard? You might get lucky
enough to find something. Its probably a long shot that you'd
find anything in the first place, much less something you'd want
to put on your pristine truck though. (pure speculation on my part)
If I were in your shoes, I might consider the junkyard option, but I
admit I'd probably go the aftermarket route in the end...

>factory cutouts.... I had thought about changing the air dam/chin
>spoiler for the one with the cutouts, but I'll bet it's a fairly costly
>item... I'll keep the list posted on what I end up deciding to do.
>
>>you've probably got the switch location in the cab. You'd probably need
>>to punch out a plastic tab or something. If you don't have the holes
>
>If I recall correctly, that switch was to the left and underneath the
>steering column in a rather awkward place? (someone else had mentioned
>that a while back)... I haven't seen any tab cutouts... Probably need
>to drill somewhere (insert appropriate Tim Allen grunt)...

  :) Heh heh heh!

  Yep, the switch is indeed to the left, and down low on the dash.
When I'm driving, the steering wheel blocks my view of it completely.
If i want to check it, I usually reach down and feel the rocker
switch rather than look down and try to find the orange light.

  Coincidentally, I also have a picture of this switch location
on the site. In the interior shot of my truck, you can see it
fairly clearly right "behind" the corner made by the left hand
side of the dash. (Not a very good description, I know, but
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding it. Its the
only switch below and to the left of the steering column)

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator, Academic Information Technologies.
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
       - Unless otherwise stated, these opinions and views are my own. -