Re: Toluene ?

From: Kendall Ducote (kducote@premier.net)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 21:56:03 EST

> << Just go grab a gallon of Toluene from your local paint store for
> about $6. The octane rating on the stuff is about 116. MUCH more
> than the little 104+ junk. AND, you get a whole GALLON of the stuff
> for $6 instead of just 12 ounces. >>
>
> How much do you mix to how many gallons of fuel to get say 100 octane
> rating???
>
> Bill

I found this recipe in the August 1993 Car Craft(It pays to be a pack
rat and remember every hot rod article you ever read huh). 10% or 1
gallon toluene to 9 gallons of gas of 92 octane yeids a rating of 94.
20% gives 96.4, 30% gives 98.6. If you can get 93, than your results
will be slightly higher. The article goes on to say that anything above
20% may require jetting. EFI needn't worry. It also says that XYLENE
has a slightly higher rating. If you need the recipe for the ratios,
mail me. These chemicals are known carcinogens. Toluene is 114 octane,
Xylene is 117. Make sure also that it is not recycled. Hope this has
been some help.

Kendall Ducote

97 Regular cab, 318, Auto, 3.92, SG, 15.70@88 mph.
Bone Stock from the air cleaner to the galvanized exaust tip.