Re: pecking noise

From: M. Jass & A. McEntee (mjass@magi.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 21:44:51 EST

At 11:14 AM 03/02/97 -0500, James A. Babcock wrote:
>This is quite interesting. I didn't know that the '87 has fault codes.
>I guess I need to find out how to retrieve them...can it be done without
>a special scanner?

Yes you need a scanner, just abount any run of the mill automotive scanner
will do.

>I don't think that the O2 sensor has anything to do with the operation
>of the engine except when idleing. It provides feedback for the idle
>position solinoid, but when the carb is off idle has no method to
>control the engine.

Unfortunately this is not true for the Holly 6280 carburator also known as
1-799 (Stock carbs for 87 and 88 3.9 V-6)this carburator is jetted VERY
lean, and an "O2 feedback selonid" inside this carb controls a third jet
which drastically affect perfomance.

My source of information is the 1987 Factory Service Manual

Michael Jass
 '87 Dakota Fastback
 '62 Cadillac Sedan de Ville