RE: THIS LIST IS STUPID!! Was: Re: Sending multiple copies...

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 16:53:00 EST

Jon sez:

> HA! Now that I've got your attention, I take it back. ;)

Yikes, list-bashers that are also list-administrators... what is the
world coming to? :-)

> Here's the deal... As some of you already know, this mailing list
>is running on software that I wrote myself. (Couldn't find good free
>stuff at the time.) Its little more than a dirty hack. At first, it
was

Hey, give yourself some credit! It does work and has been quite stable
(and productive) for a significant amount of time!

>fine, because we only had 20, 30, 40 members. Right now, we have about
>280 members. Frankly, I had no idea that it would become this popular.
 :)

WOW! I had no idea we had that many members! It's great to see such a
good turnout for a very specific SIG list.

>(Who knows how big we'd be if we had decent software)

I guess we'll know shortly, eh?

> I think its fairly safe to say that we are currently at a bandwidth
>level where the undeliverable messages, subscribe/unsubscribe messages,
>etc. are a major hassle. The signal/noise ratio has become
unacceptable.

I personally don't have a huge problem with the undeliverables, and I try
to reply to the unsubscribe/subscribe messages with helpful hints, but I
agree it would make the list more efficient if we upgraded the software.
 Heck, I'd even donate some $$$ if necessary.

> Now, I know that I just changed the list address from the csclub0
machine
>to the sseg machine, but do you think you could handle another change?
 :)

Sure! As long as you make an announcement to the list, as well as the
web page, I think we could handle another address transition...

> We're running an NT machine here with extremely powerful mailing
list
>software that would give us a lot more options than we had before. It
<snip>

Sounds great, Jon!

> I've received mail, and read mail on the list, from people who have
>been (or will be) forced to unsubscribe as a result of the undeliverable
>messages, etc. Our weak link is the mailing list software, and when it

It's too bad that we're losing our subscribers due to software issues,
but any positive changes made may increase our user community, and
therefore, will increase opinions and ideas!

>available. The administrative commands would definitely be different
>than they are now.

They shouldn't be *too* much different, should they??

> I still have to check to see wether its OK to use the server for
>the Dakota list. I just wanted to send a message to the list letting
you
>know about this option. Is there any reason not to switch? The only

It's fine by me... keep us posted on the status!!

>thing I can think of is that the transition might be confusing for
>some people, though everyone handled the csclub0->sseg switch fine.
 Maybe
>I've overlooked something though... (I have been known to do so.) ;)

Like I said before, as long as you notify the list, as well as post
something on the Web page, it should be fairly easy for most folks to
make the switch. You will want people to manually resubscribe to the new
address, or will it be automatic for people who are already subscribed?
 If it's automatic, then the only change on the user side (who are
already subscribed) is to change their address books for the mailing list
address, and the administrative address.
Good luck and let us know!

Ciao!
         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------