Re: 2" exhaust system?

From: Sam (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 15:54:19 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> sam,
>
> i not sure i understand what you mean by 'opened up the cat to 3".
> please excuse my ignorance on the converter but is it possible to
> remove material from the stock cat to improve flow?
>
> sean

        Not exactly. What I mean by 'opened up the cat to 3"', is that I
had the 3" pipe welded directly onto the Cataylitic (?sp?) Converter.
The
muffler shop 'cuts' out the 2.5" opening, and welds in the 3". You
aren't
affecting your CAT's affectiveness, only allowing you the most flow you
legally can get vs. replacing the stock CAT with a high-flo 3" in, 3"
out
unit... I had the same thing done to my '91 pre-magnum V8 Dakota too...
even got a visual 'ok-dookie' from the smog cert.. place... They don't
care
if the cat is opened up... If you have a 'good' muffler shop work on
your
truck, most people probably wouldn't be able to tell...

        Next time I have my truck up on the rack for tires, I'll snap some
photos with my digital camera and post them....

        ..Sam '95 SLT