Re: 65 mph in 4wd

From: Phil McClay (Phil_McClay@qmgateib.mitre.org)
Date: Fri Feb 07 1997 - 12:41:23 EST

         Reply to: RE>65 mph in 4wd

Go ahead, drive whatever speed you like in 4wd. Dakota's have front CV-joints without any hubs, therefore everything is always turning full-time anyway (2 or 4wd) at any and all speeds. The only difference between 2/4wd is whether the transfer case clutch is engaged or not. Also there are no speed restrictions when shifting into/out of 4wd because everything is turning at the same rate. And finally, fuel mileage is the same for 2 and 4wd since there is no difference in the amount of mass and friction you're working against.

Yeah, I've driven in 4wd at 65 mph on slick roads. Probably not a good idea, but around here if you would try to drive slower everyone will crash into you.

Phil McClay
mcclay@mitre.org
'94 Dakota 4x4 in Massachusetts