Re: Re[2]: shortening axle housing

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 13:19:02 EST

Quick question on the Wheel widths.
I realize that the 7" offset will bring the outside edge of the Wheel
inside of the Fender edge, but how wide is the inside of the Fender?
What is the biggest size tire (wheel) that the fender will support?
I also assume that these are only for the rear wheels, so my question
also goes for the front, What is the larget tire the fender will allow?

Long time ago, on a 1974 Duster, I was making the Wide tire updates and
I had a problem once where the the wheel and tire did fit inside the
fender, but when when I turned the wheel, the tire scraped. I ended up
doing some serious Body work to the fenders to allow my wheels to fit.
Then added flairs, then new paint, then new Interior, then ...
Cost me a lot more than my initial investment in the end.

Its like the story about the guy who goes to replace a washer on
a sink faucet to repair a drip, and before he is done, he is digging
up his lawn to replace the sewer pipe going out to the road!

-rICK
'90 4x4 3.9L Auto(A500)