Re: shortening axle housing

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 14:25:16 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> I'm going to check a few junkyards for post '92 Dakota steel wheels.
> The axle housing shortening is still an option but I'll keep that as a
> last resort.
>
> Thanks for the help everyone!!
>
> ATTENTION SEAN!!!

I think you are measuring the backspacing incorrectly. 5 1/2" back space
means that 5 1/2" of the wheel will be from the edge of the brake drum
towards the inside. This leaves only 2 1/2" towards the outside. unless
Dodge did something very strange, this should be fine. I had steel
wheels custom made for my 95 (15x8) with 4 1/2 or 5" backspace and they
are perfect(I can fit a 10.5" wide tire in there without wheelwell
contact). 7" backspacing would mean only 1" of the wheel would be
towards the outside of the brake drum(this sounds ridiculous and wrong).
Take your back wheel off and place a level against the brake drum. Have
an assistant hold another ruler straight down from the wheelwell edge.
This will tell you how much room you have on the outside. Do the same
for the inner limit of the wheelwell. The sum of the two will tell you
maximum tire width and then you can visualize the offset you'll need. My
guess is thet the 5 1/2" will be right. If you need custom steel wheels,
there is a good company in California that built me two nice chrome
blade types fore about $60 each called WHEELS OF STEEL ph#(209)627-2703.
Why in the world would you want to install a 285/70/15??? This tire
would be extremely tall. A 255/60/15 or 275/50/15 would work much
better. Hope this helps.

Andre Mauboussin