Re: CARB problems with '95 Dakota

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 21:18:56 EST

DesignTech@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> WOW, i would hate to live in CA
> i never even heard if smog certificate
> how does it work?
> how do they know what computer u got?
>
> ----------

In CA. you need to smog your vehicle every 2 years (you get
a notice with your registration renewal). You go to a tune-up
place that does smog inspections, and they run a visual inspection+
a true-smog test (take about 15 minutes for the test & visual).

My truck won't past the visual to average joe smog guy because
of the open air cleaner. I have the CARB (California Air Research
Board--Coming to a state near you soon :( excemption, and after
a few phone calls I got it cleared up.

I'm not too sure how they would tell/not tell about the computer,
other than a loping-idle (500 rpm idle vs. 750 rpm with stock computer).
Rather than hassle with it, I'll swap back in the stock computer.

I'll smog it before I put my headers on, so that I have 2 more years
to play before I have to hassle with the header CARB exemption #.

Heck, in CA. you can't ride a NEW two-stroke off road anymore
(unless it's on private property, or a close-race course)...

        Sam '95 SLT :) :) (Headers tomorrow :)