Re: COMPRESSION TEST -Reply -Reply

From: Chris Smith (mopar@tough.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 11:48:12 EST

Robert Lee Cobb Jr. wrote:

> > How the He** does someone get 160 psi from 9.1:1 compresion?
>
> I don't know WHY I got it, but I know the guage is fine and I got 160
> on 2 different cylinders. NOTHING was below 145. I used the formula
> the guy posted about the 29.921 inches mercury = 14.696 psi, and
> calculated what it would be at 30 inches mercury (what it hovers
> around usually here in the Buckeye state where I live). . and I came
> up with a CR of 10.18 using 150 psi average of the cylinders.

I know nothing of the formulas, but the old shade-tree mechanic rule of
thumb was that 140ish is great, 125 means a little wear, but OK, 90 or
lower meant the beginning of the end. Also important is even pressure
on all cylinders. If most are in the 145 range and one is in the 100
range, you've got a problem.

Not sure how the volume of the cylinder could have much to do with
maximum pressure, since even the smallest air compressors can have
extremely high pressure, limited only by the holding power of seals and
such. In an engine, you are limited by holding power of rings and
valves.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like everyone who has responded to this
thread has nothing to worry about.

--
-Chris Smith
mopar@tough.com